My Top 5 things to do in the region this Christmas
An extract from the ‘North Burnett News’ 13/12/18.
And just like that, it’s Christmas (only 12 days for those who are counting) and soon we’ll all be enjoying some down time to spend with family and enjoy the Christmas cheer.
There are lots of things to do in the region if you, like me, plan on staying home this Christmas. My top 5 things to do around the region this Christmas break (brochures and more information are located for your
convenience at each Council Library):
- Visit the local Art Galleries. The North Burnett boasts a number of Art Galleries that are open to the public for free! All they ask is a gold coin donation to be able to view current exhibitions on display. Why not visit one with family before catching lunch at one of the local eateries.
- Go for a family day out to one of the local waterways and enjoy a swim or kayak and a family BBQ or picnic. The North Burnett is home to many naturally beautiful waterways. Why not head into your local butcher for some BBQ meats and head out to one of the areas which provides free BBQ facilities like Mingo Crossing or Paradise Dam. Other areas that you could go to cool off include Kirar Weir in Eidsvold, Auburn River National Park in Mundubbera, Utopia Falls near Biggenden or Cania in Monto.
- Explore the museums and Cultural Centres. The North Burnett houses a large variety of different museums and centres offering information about the local area and can be an educational fun day out for the kids and visitors alike. Remember after your visit to treat the young and the not so young to an ice-cream from one of the local stores!
- Walking trails and lookouts. Across the North Burnett there are kilometers of different walking trails and lookouts ready for you to explore. Why not head off after breakfast at one of your local cafes and spend the morning (or afternoon) exploring all the walking trails in your area. Why not try the Heritage walk in Mt Perry, visit the Mount Walsh or Woowoonga National Parks in Biggenden, explore the Cania Gorge or Kalpowar State Forest in Monto and why not lookout from the top of Mount Gayndah, or the Duke and Duchess in Gayndah.
- Go on a quirky gift hunt by visiting the local shops and stores! As we all start to buy those last minute presents, or begin the Christmas present hunt, it’s important to remember our local stores. When you buy from a small local business an actual person does a happy dance! For those of us staying within the North Burnett or visiting the region over the next few weeks and need to do a bit of last minute shopping, why not pop into a local store you haven’t visited in a while and see what surprises they have for you!