Take the time to be prepared…
With Cyclone Oma heading towards the Queensland Coast it’s a timely reminder to be prepared.
The Bureau of Meteorology (BOM) have issued a flood watch warning for coastal catchments and adjacent inland areas from Gladstone to the New South Wales border.
“We are hoping for some much needed rain to help out our farmers,” North Burnett Regional Council’s Chief Executive Officer Gary Rinehart said.
Mr Rinehart explained, “Cyclone Oma’s track path is still uncertain but be assured that the North Burnett Disaster Management Group are keeping an eye on the cyclone and any possible impacts it may have on our region.”
“Now is the time to make sure your emergency kits are stocked, including at least three (3) days worth of food and water, essential medications and important documents. Also consider what’s your what if plan? If you had to evacuate where would you go? The Get Ready Queensland website also has some great templates to help you and your family prepare for disaster events.”
“I encourage everyone to bookmark the North Burnett Emergency Management Dashboard to their smart device or computer and take some time to become familiar with this amazing resource. The Dashboard is available 365 days a year to keep residents up to date with road closures, emergency information, links to all emergency services social media feeds, BOM forecasts, river height and rain fall data, just to name a few.”
Residents should keep up-to-date with weather warnings through TV and ABC radio broadcasts, the BOM website and the Emergency Management Dashboard. To help with storm preparation, residents are encouraged to visit the Get Ready Queensland website.
- For emergency warnings, please tune into ABC radio on 101.1 FM or 855 AM.
- In a life-threatening emergency, which includes vehicles trapped in floodwater people are urged to call triple zero (000) immediately.
- For storm and flood related assistance call the State Emergency Service (SES) on 132 500, visit the website www.ses.qld.gov.au or download the QSES Assistance App.
- For information on road conditions and closures call the Department of Transport and Main Roads on 1300 130 595, visit the website www.qldtraffic.qld.gov.au or download the QLDTraffic app or visit the Emergency Management Dashboard.
- For information on power outages and disruptions call Ergon Energy on 13 22 96 or visit the website www.ergon.com.au or visit the Emergency Management Dashboard.
Remember! In an Emergency or Life Threatening Situation call Triple Zero ‘000’.
Don’t forget, If it’s flooded, forget it!