Mayors Desk – Bush Fire Advice
With the unprecedented fire and heatwave conditions along with high winds across a wide area, Queensland Fire and Emergency Services are urging people to stay up to date with fires in their area over the coming days. To ensure as many people within the region are aware of these conditions QFES have issued an emergency alert advising people to stay alert.
Call Triple Zero (000) immediately if you believe you or your property is under threat. Residents should be alert but not alarmed. Ensure you have a Bushfire Survival Plan in place and keep up to date on current conditions.
WHAT YOU SHOULD DO:
• Listen to your local radio station or visit the Queensland Fire and Emergency Services (QFES) website for regular updates.
• If you have a bushfire survival plan, refer to it now and be ready to follow it.
• If you do not have a bushfire survival plan, or if your plan is to leave, identify where you will go if the situation changes.
• Close windows and doors to minimise smoke exposure.
• If you suffer from a respiratory condition, keep your medication close by.
• Drive with caution in low visibility conditions.
• Contact your neighbours to see if they need help preparing for the bushfire.
• Consider finding your essential items (e.g., identification documents, prescription medication, food and water, and protective clothing such as a long-sleeved cotton shirt and trousers, and boots) in case you need to leave.
• Consider what you will do to protect your pets and livestock.
• Drink plenty of water to stay hydrated.
• Advise family and friends of your intended actions if the situation changes.
KEEP UP TO DATE BY:
• Monitoring Councils Emergency Management Dashboard for Fire Incidents, Fire Danger Ratings, Weather Warnings, all emergency service social media pages and more. Visit www.northburnett.qld.gov.au and click on the Emergency Management Dashboard link.
• Following QFES on Facebook (@QldFireandRescueService) and Twitter (@QldFES)
• Staying tuned to your local radio station. Find your local ABC radio station at https://radio.abc.net.au/help/offline and your local commercial radio station at http://www.commercialradio.com.au/find-a-station/queensland;
• Visiting the Rural Fire Service (RFS) website at www.ruralfire.qld.gov.au/map
• Visiting the Queensland Fire and Emergency Services (QFES) website at www.qfes.qld.gov.au/Pages/default.aspx
• For bushfire preparation tips, visit the RFS website: www.ruralfire.qld.gov.au/BushFire_Safety
• For information about road closures, call 13 19 40 or visit www.qldtraffic.qld.gov.au