Food Event Notifications – Business & Not for Profit Organisations

Dec 13, 2016 | Front Page Feature, News

Did you know that any business or Not for Profit Organisation that intends to sell or handle any type of food for sale is required to notify Council?

By notifying Council, you will help ensure that only safe and suitable food is sold from permanent or temporary food premises, and that food handling and servery areas are suitably constructed and operated. The notification is required to be submitted to Council at least two (2) weeks prior to the event.

Temporary Food Premises are structures set up for a specific, occasional event such as a fair or fete. These premises are considered to be a food business under the Food Safety Standards and need to comply with food safety practices for the duration of the event.

Notification requirement applies to activities undertaken for charitable or community reasons, as well as to commercial ventures and ‘once-only’ projects that involve the handling and sale of food. It includes businesses that may not think of themselves as food businesses, like chemists, cinemas, corner stores, petrol stations and swimming pools, if they sell packaged or any other type of food.

Council’s Environmental Health Officers can provide specific information for temporary events such as transporting food safely, food handling practices and appropriate storage of food and would be pleased to assist.

Further information can be found at the Food Standards Australia New Zealand website.

For further information please contact Council’s Environmental Health staff on 1300 696 272 (1300 MY NBRC) or email A copy of Council’s Notification of Food Event Form can be downloaded here.

(Visited 187 times, 1 visits today)