Drought Communities Programme – Have Your Say
North Burnett Regional Council was successful in its application for funding through the Drought Communities Program. The Drought Communities Programme provides $1 million funding to eligible councils for drought-affected regions of Australia. The program supports local community infrastructure and other drought relief projects for communities impacted by drought.
“As part of Council’s application to the programme we included “Town Renewal Projects” which will see $120,000 being allocated to each North Burnett township to improve the look and feel of our central business districts, improve liveability and increase local spend. Council is calling for the community to have their say on how the funding will be utilised in each township.”
“Council is seeking community input to put forward ideas and assist with prioritising eligible projects to beautify our towns. So if you have any ideas as to how to ‘hit the mark’ with the $120,000 available for your town, please contact your local Councillor or attend a community consultation workshop” said Mayor Chambers.
In addition to the Town Renewal Projects, Council has also been successful in gaining funding to establish a grassroots mental health support worker to fill the gap in mental health support, a regional comedy tour to give everyone a laugh during this tough time as well as town entrance signs to be installed right across the region, including our villages!
A key aspect of the funding is to utilise local businesses and contractors to complete these projects and stimulate the economy by buying materials locally. These projects need to be completed before 30 June 2020.
Have Your Say – Drought Communities Programme workshops will be taking place on the following dates:
- Mundubbera: 8.30am, Tuesday, 11 February outside IGA on Lyons Street.
- Biggenden: 7pm, Tuesday, 11 February at the Biggenden Memorial Hall.
- Eidsvold: 4pm, Wednesday, 12 February at the Eidsvold Town Hall.
- Mt Perry: 6.30pm, Wednesday, 12 February at the Mt Perry Town Hall.
- Monto: 7.30pm, Thursday, 13 February at the Monto Town Hall.
- Gayndah: Projects will be selected from the successful Rural Aid Makeover consultation undertaken last week. If you have any further ideas please contact Cr Zahl on 0458 625 005.
If you can’t make it along to one of the Have Your Say Workshops, please contact your local councillor to discuss your ideas or alternatively, you can submit your ideas online via the ‘Have Your Say’ form below.
All submissions must be received by Council by close of business Friday, 14 February 2020.
Councillors can be contacted on the following:
- Cr Faye Whelan 0409 625 956
- Cr Paul Lobegeier 0458 625 952
- Cr Peter Webster 0458 625 951
- Cr John Zahl 0458 625 005
- Cr Robbie Radel 0458 625 950
- Cr John Bowen 0458 625 961
For more information about the grant visit https://www.regional.gov.au/regional/programs/drought-communities.aspx
Before completing the form below, please consider these points when expressing your ideas:
- Does the project relate to local infrastructure?
- Can the work be undertaken by a local business or contractor?
- Can materials for the project be purchased locally?
- Will the project provide a long-lasting benefit to the community?
- Can project be completed with $120,000?