Australia Day Ambassador Prof Kay Saunders to attend Australia Day celebrations in the North Burnett
Saturday, 26 January 2019.
2019 Australia Day Ambassador Professor Kay Saunders AM.
North Burnett Regional Council Mayor Rachel Chambers is pleased to announce that 2019 Australia Day Ambassador Professor Kay Saunders AM will be attending Australia Day celebrations in Mundubbera on Saturday, 26 January 2019.
Mayor Chambers said the Ambassador Program is an integral part of Australia Day and each Ambassador is chosen for their achievements and ability to inspire.
As the 2019 Australia Day Ambassador, Professor Saunders will play an important role in the Mundubbera Australia Day celebrations, spreading messages of inspiration and what it means to be Australian. In addition to presenting the 2019 Mundubbera Australia Day Awards, Professor Saunders will join the community in celebrating the new Australian citizens during the Citizenship Ceremony and ‘New Little Arrivals’ during the presentation of Baby Certificates. Following the official Australia Day Ceremony, Professor Saunders will be attending the Mundubbera Regional Art Gallery’s 10th Anniversary celebrations.
Professor Kay Saunders AM is a widely published author and historian. Trained as an anthropologist, Kay was professor of History and a Senator of The University of Queensland. She later was Chief Executive Officer of The Brisbane Institute and worked at Bond University. Kay has written widely on Queensland history including Queensland: 150 Years of Achievement. For Queensland’s sesquicentenary (Q150), she researched, wrote and travelled with the State Archives of Queensland exhibition entitled Queensland’s Fifty Firsts and served on the Q150 Advisory Council. She was on the Premier’s committee to advise on Women’s Policy, 1999–2001 and served on the National Australia Day Council as a Director, 1992–1997. Kay Saunders was awarded the Order of Australia in 1999 for her service to Australian history.
The Australia Day Ambassador program sends high achieving Australians to over 300 community celebrations nationwide every Australia Day. Ambassadors are past recipients of the Australian of the Year Awards, sportspeople, scientists, businesspeople, actors and community workers who provide inspiration and pride to Australia Day events and activities.
Mayor Rachel Chambers explained that Australia Day was the perfect opportunity for residents of the North Burnett to come together to celebrate what’s great about Australia and being Australian.
“It’s a day for reflection on our achievements and taking pride in our great nation. It’s the day for us to re-commit to making Australia an even better place for the future.”
“I encourage all residents and visitors to the region to attend a local Australia Day event. This is a great way to celebrate and acknowledge those outstanding individuals and organisations that have made a significant contribution to their community,” Mayor Chambers said.
Australia Day celebrations will be held at the following venues:
- Biggenden – Biggenden Memorial Hall – 7am Free Aussie Breakfast / 8.30am Advance Australia Fair / Official Ceremony / Presentation of Awards
- Eidsvold – Apex Park – 7am Free Aussie Breakfast / 8.30am National Anthem / Official Ceremony / Presentation of Awards
- Gayndah – Cullen Park / Gayndah Pool – 7am Free Aussie Breakfast – Cullen Park / Musical Entertainment / 8am Official Ceremony / Presentation of Awards – Gayndah Pool – FREE Entry
- Monto – Memorial Park / Monto Community Hall – 7am Free Aussie Breakfast – Memorial Park / 9am Official Ceremony / Presentation of Awards – Monto Community Hall / 10am Morning Tea – Monto Community Hall
- Mount Perry – Mount Perry Community Hall – 8am Free Aussie Breakfast / 9.30am Official Ceremony / Presentation of Awards
- Mundubbera – Bicentennial Park – 8am Free Aussie Breakfast & Local Entertainment / 8.55am Flag Raising Ceremony / National Anthem / Opening Prayer for the Community / 9.15am Presentation of Awards / 9.45am Morning Tea / 11.30am Mundubbera Regional Art Gallery 10th Birthday Celebrations / Exhibition Opening / Unveiling of the Useable Art Ping Pong table and wall Mural